Obtaining a DC ID Card (For Non-Drivers)

If you will not be driving but would like an official form of identification to carry with you on a daily basis you may obtain the DC Identification card.

Check out this blog post on How to Handle Transportation Costs to get tips on facilitating an au pair’s transportation if car use will not be provided.

To understand how to apply for your Identification Card from the Washington, DC Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), read this overview on the DMV website and each of these four steps below and click on all links.

How to Obtain Your DC Identification Card

1. Obtain your Social Security Card

2. Gather the documents you will need to bring.

  • Completed application (On page 2, Section G, Voter Registration, check the following box:  ❑ I decline/opt-out. Do not register me to vote or update my voter registration. Then skip to Section H.)
  • Cash or a debit/credit card to pay fees
  • Social Security card
  • Unexpired Out-of-Country driver license
  • Official English translation of out-of-country license if not written in English*
  • Unexpired passport with visa, I-94, and DS-2019 (you need at least 6 months left on your visa or DS-2019)
  • Proof of DC Residency Certification (signed by Host Parent and with required documents)

3. Select a DMV service location

Check the website for the DMV locations to decide which is best for you.

Tip: Look for “Best Time to Visit this Location”, located near the bottom of the webpage for each DMV location.

4. Complete the Document Checklist and go to obtain your Identification Card.

  • Go on the DMV website and complete the Document Verification Guide and print out the list it creates.
  • Bring that list and all of the documents (from step 2 above) to the DMV Service Location.

Other Important Things to Know Before you Go

*What if my out-of-country driver’s license is not written in English? 

If your valid, non-US driver’s license is not in English, you must bring an English translation from either your embassy or from a translation company. Unfortunately, the DC DMV does not recognize International Driver’s Permits (IDP).

  • The embassy translation must be on official embassy letterhead. The date of the translation must be on or after the actual date of the non-English language driver’s license.
  • Translations from companies must be certified with a translation stamp or notarized by preparing a notarized affidavit confirming the translation was prepared by a qualified translator and that it is both accurate and complete.  U.S. Translation Company is one company offering this service.
    • U.S. Translation Company offers a special price for Au Pair in America Au Pairs. The normal price for a certified translation is $75, but if they put Au Pair in America in the subject line the price will be $45.