Whether you are at the park, in the backyard or in the playroom, stay with the children at all times! If you are on duty the safety and well being of the children is your job. If you have a middle-schooler, who is able to walk to and from school, or play outside with friends, you still need to know where he/she is and whether an adult is present. Make plans for when he/she will call you, where you can find him/her, and what time you expect him/her home.
With shorter days and colder weather, you and the children are probably spending more time inside the house. Please be sure that the house is “childproof” with these simple tips:
- Children are curious; many small children put everything into their mouths. Be sure no small objects, plastic bags or long cords are within the child’s reach.
- Be sure that laundry soap and other cleaners are out of reach of the children.
- Keep medicines, and cosmetic items such as mouthwash, perfume, nail polish, and hair spray out of reach of children
- Keep scissors and knives out of reach.
- Store the toys that belong to older children out of reach of babies and toddlers.