Due to COVID-19, Au Pair in America has approved online classes from accredited schools when the class begins before May 30th. Schools must still be accredited and au pairs must still produce certificates or other acceptable documentation confirming completion of the class.
If in doubt, ask your counselor to check if the school is accredited. All class hours must be completed by the end of your 11th month in the program if you wish to extend.
ESL Specific Schools
- Columbia College – Online classes starting 3/30/20.
- Inlingua – Online classes, email (email@example.com) for more info.
- International Language Institute – Online classes now through 4/25/20.
- LADO – Online classes, starting 3/25 & 4/8/20, 50% off normal tuition.
- Anne Arundel Community College – Classes already in session are being taught online.
- Howard Community College – Classes already in session are being taught online.
- Montgomery College – Classes already in session are being taught online.
- Prince Georges Community College – Classes already in session are being taught online.
- International School of Languages – Online classes, email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more info.
Weekend/U.S. Culture/Travel Courses
- BMCC Learning Across America – Online classes, visit the website for info.
- University of Virgin Islands – Online classes now through 5/31/20.
- UCLA APIA Advantage – Online course that gives 6 credits. Cost $500. The new session starts 3/30/20, late enrollments allowed up to a certain point.
Online Class Websites – These platforms will list online courses all over the country. These courses come from a variety of sources and some are not accredited. You must be sure you are selecting a course that is from an accredited university.
- The Science of Well-Being (one of Yale’s most popular classes) is available through Coursera. The class is worth 20 hours and costs $49 to receive a certificate.*
*This class would be great for au pairs who have already taken or plan to take a PGCC Transition ESL class when things go back to normal. Those classes usually earn 50-60 hours, so this could be enough to complete your education requirement, in combination with one of those classes.
Photo: Ivan Radic