Kid Friendly Tacos
- Make lunch a fiesta by turning tonight’s leftovers into tomorrow’s tacos. With a simple make-your-own taco seasoning recipe, you can easily flavor meat from tonight’s dinner and add a variety of toppings on a tortilla. Who needs taco trucks parked in the nearby lots when you can make your own tasty tacos?
Taco Seasoning Recipe
Start with this easy taco seasoning, and add it to the meat of your choosing! The seasoning will store for up to six weeks in an airtight container, so you can make multiple batches.
Makes about 3/4 cup
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup salt
3 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika (use smoked paprika for deeper flavor)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Meat, fish or beans
- Whisk together all ingredients and transfer to an airtight container.
- Add two tablespoons (or to taste) of taco seasoning and 2-3 tablespoons water per pound of meat, fish or beans. Stir to combine; simmer 5 minutes.
Taco Lunch Inspiration
Now comes the fun part. Use your seasoned leftovers and try some of these delicious combinations, which include adult and kid-friendly options.
- Adult Option: Combine mashed black beans, shredded grilled chicken, grilled red pepper slices, diced tomatoes, pickled jalapeño slices, sliced green onions, salsa and sour cream on a flour tortilla.
- Kid-friendly Option: Season ground chicken and spoon it into a crunchy taco shell. Top it with a dollop of queso, shredded lettuce and salsa.
- Adult Option: Lay pork on a warm tortilla and top with grilled pineapple slices, diced red onion, cilantro leaves and canned chipotles in adobo sauce mixed with sour cream.
- Kid-friendly Option: Line a tortilla with sliced pork, and top with shredded pepper jack and cheddar cheese, diced avocado and orange sections.
- Adult Option: Mix leftover white rice and black beans with chopped green chiles and taco seasoning. Top with greens, salsa, shredded pepper jack cheese and a squeeze of lime in a flour tortilla.
- Kid-friendly Option: Heap refried beans mixed with a pinch of taco seasoning onto a crunchy taco shell and top with guacamole, shredded cheddar, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, salsa, sour cream and sliced olives.
- Adult Option: Use leftover mahi-mahi, tilapia, or any favorite fish and top with shredded Napa cabbage, tomatillo salsa, sliced avocado, minced fresh cilantro and lime juice in a warm flour tortilla.
- Kid-friendly Option: Stack a couple breaded fish sticks in a flour tortilla or a crunchy taco shell. Top with shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream seasoned with a pinch of taco seasoning and a squeeze of lime.
Tip: Eat tacos on the go! Season the meat the night before and build the ingredients in a portable container, and refrigerate overnight. Put tortillas in a plastic bag. In the morning, pack it all, with a spoon, in an insulated lunch box. You’ll have a portable taco truck at your desk or in the lunch room!