Au Pair in America provides a comprehensive Orientation for all our au pairs before they go out to their host families. When each au pair arrives at the NY airport, she is welcomed and transported to the the Hilton Doubletree Hotel in Tarrytown, NY. There she is met by an Au Pair in America Orientation staff member, given some valuable information, room assignment and a chance to check into her room for rest. Three full days follow started each day with early wake up calls. The importance of being on time is emphasized so the meeting run smoothly and au pairs learn to understand the importance of time in America.
Noelle from Germany was welcomed to America by their Community Counselor, Cindy Garruba. She is going to a family in Pt. Jefferson, LI, NY and will be joining a cluster of about 30 au pairs.
At Orientation the agenda includes:
- An Introduction the United States and Au Pair in America
- “The Three No’s” – No drugs, no alcohol under 18 and never while driving or caring for children, no child abuse (Au Pairs are sent home if they abuse drugs, alcohol or children!!)
- The Role of the Community Counselor
- Living in America – Cultural adaptation and communication with their American families
- Childcare safety and media
- American Red Cross Child Safety Workshop
- The American Family
- Child Care in America – managing American Children – Communication and discipline
- Living in America – auto insurance and health insurance
3 meals a day, time to socialize with the other au pairs and the Orientation Staff. There is even an evening tour of NYC! Au Pairs submit questions anonymously all week and every question is answered by the staff to the group before they go home.
Au Pairs leave Orientation on Day 4 at 3 PM and head out to 35 states and hundreds of host families. Everyone is excited to depart and begin a year as an Au Pair in America!