International Women’s Day is Saturday, March 8th! This day helps to jump start the month of March, which has now been named National Women’s History Month in the United States. International Women’s Day is celebrated in 176 countries and allows women worldwide to connect, celebrate and honor women past, present, and future.
On this day women will “Celebrate, Commit, and Connect.” They’ll celebrate like never before ~ connect as only women do ~ and commit to improve in 3 areas of their lives:
1. Personal ~ improve their personal health and well being, and their businesses as employees, business owners, entrepreneurs.
2. Family ~ help their families be healthier and prepare for the future right now.
3. Country ~ let their voices be heard: to speak up, to make positive changes in their communities/countries.
Au Pair in America is an organization fully committed to enriching the lives and minds of young women and this day is highly regarded within the organization.
Young women from all over the globe, ages 18 -26, come to America to live with an American family and learn about American culture. The Au Pair in America cultural exchange program provides a platform to really the change lives of the young women that participate. Fanny Carvajal-Delgado, one of our former au pairs from Costa Rica, has said “Working as an au pair with Au Pair in America is a life changing experience. It has changed my life, the way I value my family and friends, the way I see the world and the way I think about myself, in a positive way. I will never be the same person ! When I finished the program I was more mature, Independent and responsible.”
In recognition of International Women’s Day, below are some ways you can celebrate this day as well as National Women’s History month in your lcoal community:
- Register to vote
- Attend an event promoting women’s health, equality or safety
- Thank a woman who has been a positive influence in your life
- Support a program that provides business training for women in developing countries
- Make a donation that provides education for girls
To find for an International Women’s Day event in your area, go to www.internationalwomensday.com!