There are so many new faces in the cluster. You must have heard “make this the best year ever”, but what does it really mean? Here is a list of suggestions I gathered from my former au pairs. They all agree that the year goes by really fast and despite having some bad days, they do miss being an au pair. When I asked them what suggestions they wanted to share, here is what they told me:
1. Take good care of the kids (this really was their first response!)
2. Listen and respect your host family, be honest about your mistakes, don’t try to hide them….it will only make things worse.
3. Travel as soon as you can, don’t procrastinate.
4. Meet new people, try not to hang out with only au pairs from your country
5. Enjoy every moment
6. Be open-minded, don’t compare
7. Don’t spend all your money on the stuff you don’t need. It’s not easy to take it home
8. Give it a good chance, even it you are feeling homesick, shy or nervous. Stick it out because its definitely worth it
9. Take advantage of your free time, volunteer and help out. The reference letter may help you get a job in the future.
10. Pick your classes carefully. There are some options that you will find interesting.
Enjoy your journey!