When families choose to host an au pair with Au Pair in America, they are often surprised by the degree to which their au pair becomes a real member of their family. That was certainly the case with Colombian au pair Sandra’s host family, who quickly came to appreciate her patient and loving nature and the excellent care she provides their three young children. As her host mother explained, Sandra “has gone above and beyond our expectations of what we thought an au pair would be.”
In her host mother’s words, here are just some of the ways in which Sandra has contributed to the health and happiness of her host family:
- She immediately bonded with all of our children. She puts our children’s happiness and safety above anything else.
- When she is not working, if she hears one of the children crying (and believe me, they do cry), she will come out to help me.
- When I was sick last year with a stomach virus, she was ready to cancel school and help me with the kids without my asking her.
- She stayed up hours making party decorations for the twins’ first birthday party.
- She has painted every letter in the alphabet with our older child and drew characters or things to match the letters on her free time.
- She has shared her native language with us and sings lovely Spanish songs to the children.
- My older daughter fell sick last year and had to spend the night in the hospital, and I didn’t have to worry once because I knew Sandra would have everything taken care of with the twins.
- She made Mother’s Day and Father’s Day videos for me and my husband and celebrated us on those days.
- She has spent holidays with us and enjoyed watching movies with us as a family.
- She brought us all gifts from Colombia and helped me with the interview process for our next au pair.
- She had her mother make beautiful wall art with our children’s names for their rooms.
The next au pair who joins Sandra’s host family will have big shoes to fill! As her host mother says, “She is a part of our family and will be for the rest of our lives. Our children love her whole-heartedly….We will miss her dearly and hope that all her dreams come true when she returns to Colombia.”
Is your family looking for an au pair like Sandra? Find out more about an au pair’s role within your family.