The first annual International Au Pair Day (IAPD) will be celebrated this upcoming Sunday, November 24th, 2019. Together, let’s celebrate our incredible au pairs from around the world!
What is International Au Pair Day (IAPD)?
International Au Pair Day is a day of recognition established by the International Au Pair Association (IAPA) where we celebrate au pairs and their incredible efforts to contribute to international and cultural exchange opportunities worldwide. IAPA indicates that November 24, 2019 is especially significant because it marks the 50th anniversary of the Council of Europe’s release of the “European agreement on au pair placements.”
By celebrating au pairs on International Au Pair Day (IAPD) from this year forward, IAPA hopes to:
- Raise the profile and visibility of au pairs, and legal au pair programs, worldwide.
- Recognize and thank au pairs for what they do for host families and their children and for the part they play in fostering global understanding.
- Unite the au pair community and establish November 24th as a recognized day of annual au pair celebrations.
What are some ways to promote IAPD?
To make International Au Pair Day truly unforgettable each and every year, we hope you will spread the news and share the excitement:
- Send everyone in your Au Pair in America community a link to the IAPD website so they can learn more about the initiative.
- Like and follow IAPD on Facebook and Instagram
- Share your personal experience on social media and use the #InternationalAuPairDay, #IAPD, and #aupairinamerica hashtags
How can you celebrate IAPD?
Host families: You can celebrate your au pair and the impact she/he has made on your family and/or community through cultural exchange in so many ways! Here are a few suggestions from IAPA:
- Surprise your au pair with a thank you note or video
- Organize a surprise celebration for him/her
- Take your au pair somewhere nice
- Show your appreciation with a small gift
- Give her/him a day off to have a fun day with other au pairs
- Cards or artwork created by your children
- A video message from your children saying why they love their au pair
- A special family meal at your au pair’s favorite restaurant
- A framed picture of your family with your au pair — or take that photo on IAPD
Be sure to send us your photos and videos about why you are thankful for your au pair and want to celebrate her/him so that we can share with our Au Pair in America community on social media and other channels.
Here’s to a wonderful celebration of all our au pairs from around the world and what they bring to our lives each day!