Travel Reminders


Au Pairs Traveling outside the United States

Any au pair who is planning to travel outside of the United States ( with her host family or on her on) during her program term must make sure she checks with the embassy or consulate of the country being visited  to find out if an additional visa is required.  It is also important that she checks the status of her J1 visa in her passport and the date of expiration.  She must have her DS2019 signed by a member of staff in the Stamford office and returned before she departs for her trip.  It must be an original signature for validation.  The DS2019 should be mailed at least three weeksprior to the departure date for the trip.  It should be mailed with the travel validation request form which can be found here:  and a return self addressed stamped envelope and a check for $10 if the au pair wants it to be returned by 2 day UPS delivery. Once this is signed, it is good for the year. Should an Au Pair extend, her new DS2019 would be need to be signed again for the new term.  The consulates and additional info for travel to Mexico and Canada can be found on the APIA website.

If you are planning to travel advise your community counselor and a travel letter can be provided to you. This is in addition to the documents noted above, but can be helpful.

Happy Trails!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *