After the decorations are put away, the celebrations are over, the New Year has begun: and the post holiday winter blues are starting to hit you and your host family. What can you do to get through the long cold winter months happily.
- Get outside every day with the kids, bundle up and play outside. Go to the park, take a walk, ride bikes; we have been having an unusually warm winter, so enjoy it! If it snows, build a snowman, go sledding, have fun outside!
- Stay on routine with the kids; get up on time, have breakfast, get to the bus stop on time. Make sure homework is done and everyone gets to their activities on time. Bedtime routines are important, make sure everyone gets enough sleep and that includes YOU!
- Register for your classes, and get ready to start learning something new!
- Call a friend and meet for coffee and conversation if you feel housebound.
- Ask your host mom to help set up a play date with another au pair and her host children (similar ages) and enjoy a day together!
- Join a gym with another au pair!
- Use the library in your town. Sign the kids up for free programs (talk to host parents about the programs!) Join the English conversation group, improve your English and meet people!
- Prepare a Global Awareness presentation for one of your host kids’ classes, ask me for help!
- Volunteer at a local hospital, school, animal shelter, food bank or other social service agency, if you have extra time on your hands and need to do something! Doing for others is always an answer for the blues!!
- Come to our meeting in, January 23rd to meet new friends and make plans.
Appeared first on Cindy Garruba’s Long Island Blog.