It is normal for an Au Pair to feel a little bit homesick, especially after the holidays have ended. Our long rainy, wet winter has all of us singing the blues! Here are some tips for making it through the roughest days.
Here are some things to do if you are feeling a little blue:
- Be a tourist, get to know where you live, visit the local sights and explore just as you would if on vacation. Start a list of favorite places.
- Plan a trip with a friend, a day trip or a weekend, get excited about doing something new with a new friend and before you know it you will be excited and chatting about the trip instead of talking about what you are missing at home.
- Go to your cluster meeting, This will definitely help you.
- Not everything has to change. If you loved jogging at home, do it here. There are some habits you love that you can keep.
- Create a routine. Having a routine will help you feel at home and settle into life here.
- Do not stay home. Get out and about, go to the gym, the park, a coffee shop, a movie, staying home alone will not help homesickness.
- Ask your counselor to connect you with another au pair who was also homesick, there’s nothing better than talking to someone who has been in your shoes.
- Start planning a digital memory book. Collect pictures and mementos from your year in a special online folder. Online sites like Shutter Fly and Social Print Studios offer great deals on photo books.It will give you something to work on when you have quiet time alone and as your year progresses you will be able to see what an amazing experience you are having. You’ll have a wonderful keepsake to take home with you. You’ll feel so proud of your memory book!
- Most importantly, talk to someone, if you feel sad or homesick. Being part of a cluster enables us to help and support each other.
A little inspiration from a former au pair… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3IBmRWGnwA
Have a great year, this is your dream, make the most of it!