General Driving Links
- Car Accident Emergency Info Form
- Driving School – Alfredo’s
- Driving School – Blue Bird
- Driving School – Easy Method
- Driving School – I Drive Smart
- MD International Driver’s Law (print and keep in the car glove box)
- MD MVA International Applicants General Information
- MD MVA Letter Explaining International Driver’s Law (additional document you may print and keep in the car glove box)
- Traffic & Road Sign Quizzes (good for general knowledge of typical road signs)
- USPS Change of Address (use confirmation letter for proof of residency, if you have moved)
Maryland Driver’s License Process
Note: German & French Au Pairs are not required to take the written or driving tests. They do need to complete the drug & alcohol class, document verification and pass a vision test at the MVA. They will then trade their country license for a Maryland driver’s license. Upon return to home country, they will trade their Maryland license for a new country license.
Step 1 – Start Gathering Two Proof of Residency Documents
- Item #1 – Social Security Card Envelope & Contents*
- Apply for your Social Security Card
- When card comes in the mail save envelope and everything inside.
- Item #2 – Bank Statement
- Open a bank account.
- Print bank statement online.
*If you rematched or extended and your social security card envelope shows your previous address, you will need to do a USPS Change of Address and use confirmation letter that comes in the mail for proof of residency.
Step 2 – Make Your Appointment – You may need to make your appointment before you have all of your documents together, because the wait time for appointments can be 1-3 months.
- Go to the Central Scheduling System. Under Schedule My Service, select New to MD-Driver’s License Only.
- Complete the document checklist. See the screenshot below for which items to select.
- Print your checklist (to take with you to your appointment).
- Click the box that says To Schedule an Appointment.
- Enter your zip code and select a location to make your appointment.
Step 3 – Complete 3 Hour Drug & Alcohol Course
- 3 Hour Drug & Alcohol Awareness Course – 3A Driving
- 3 Hour Drug & Alcohol Awareness Course – Maryland Driving School
Step 4 – Prepare for Maryland Driver’s Law Test
- MD MVA Practice Test App for Android (Free)
- MD MVA Practice Test App for iPhone (Free)
- MVA Online Practice Test
- Maryland Driver’s Handbook
Step 5 – Go to MVA to take your Driver’s Law Test
- Bring your printed out checklist and your documents: passport, country license, international driver’s permit, DS2019, I-94, social security card, two proof of residency items and drug & alcohol program certificate.
- Once you pass the law test, you will be directed to schedule the driving test appointment.
Step 6 – Prepare for your Maryland Road Test
- Review this document and practice these skills before going for your test.
Step 7 – Go to MVA to take your Road Test
- Bring paperwork you were given when you passed your law test.
- Your car must have at least 1/2 tank of gasoline, no maintenance lights should be on (check engine light, etc) and you will need to show proof of registration and insurance.