Step 1 – Make an Appointment
- Find a nearby Social Security Office and make an appointment. (You may need to call multiple times.)
Step 2 – Take these Documents to your Appointment
- Print your I-94 Card (Click on “Get Most Recent I-94” at the top of the page)
- Print your Participation Letter (on your au pair portal)
- Complete the Social Security Card Application
- In box 5 for citizenship information, check off “Legal Alien Allowed To Work”.
- If there are any questions you are unsure about, leave them blank and ask at your appointment.
- Take the following documents to your appointment:
- country driver’s license
- international driver’s permit or certified translation
- participation letter
- I-94 card
- completed SS application form
Step 3 – Receive Card in the Mail
- When your card comes in the mail, save the envelope and everything inside. (Very important for getting your MD driver’s license.)
- Once you have your social security card, protect this important private information.
- Keep your card at home unless you are going somewhere that you know you will need it.
- Do not share this number with anyone unless it’s for an official purpose or service that you have contacted (such as with your host family, the bank, DMV or tax preparer).
- Beware of anyone who calls you on the phone asking for this number. Do not share any personal information with someone calling you, even if the caller ID looks like it is a business you know. There are many scams that involve calling you and acting like a business you know to steal your personal information and money.