A special part of the cultural exchange experience for our au pairs and host families is celebrating holidays together, and with a major America holiday on the horizon, our au pairs are getting excited! For many of them, this will be the first time that they experience an American Thanksgiving.
Here are just a few things that our au pairs are looking forward to experiencing with their families:
- “I love pumpkin pie and I hope we will have some.” – au pair from Austria
- “Last year I was very interested in Thanksgiving, as we don’t have it back home. I was very curious, but I love turkey and mash potatoes and the stuffing—my gosh, how will I live without the stuffing? I personally don’t like pumpkin pie, but everyone is different.” – au pair from South Africa
- “We don’t have Thanksgiving in Germany, so I’m looking forward for the dinner—especially for the big turkey (even if I’ll not eat it) because I think, this is what everybody thinks about Thanksgiving in the USA.” – au pair from Germany
- “I really liked Thanksgiving with my last (first year) host family. It’s kind of a family meeting with a lot of food and relatives getting together.” – au pair from Brazil
- “My host family was a little weird and we had a ‘Fakesgiving’ with all the family and the turkey and then on the real date, it was a small group! But it was a lot of fun with a lot of food!” – au pair from the Netherlands
- “It will be my first time celebrating Thanksgiving, so I’m excited!! I like to spend moments around the table and enjoying the food… That reminds me of Spain and my big, big family. About the pumpkin pie, I don’t know if I will like it because I’ve never tried it, but today I made a pumpkin bundt cake and it is delicious!!” – au pair from Spain
We hope that you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving, whether it’s your first or your 91st! And we hope you enjoy that pumpkin pie!
Is your family interested in sharing your cultural traditions with an eager international visitor while receiving excellent live-in child care? Learn more at AuPairinAmerica.com!