Social Security Card Information for Au Pairs
Due to COVID closure of the SS office, an appointment will need to be made ahead of time. Call the number for the location you prefer to make an appointment. See link to find the location designated for your zipcode. https://www.ssa.gov/locator/
An Au Pair must wait four days after her entry to the USA before she can request an SS#. You must print out your I-94 card before you can go. Refer to the resource page for “How to Print your I-94 card”.
The Social Security Card Application form can be printed and filled out, or you can wait until you get one at your local social security office. After filling out the form, you must bring it to your local Social Security Office to apply for a Social Security card. It cannot be submitted on-line. Please be sure to bring all of your paperwork with you to the Social Security Office. These procedures are outlined in the Social Security Administration policy manual (POM) section RM 00203.480.C.1. When filling out the application, there will be a section that asked what type of visa you have; Be careful to check that you are here with a J-1 visa. There isn’t a listing for Au pair so that means that you will indicate that you are an “other”. You are not a student.
These documents are needed:
2) J-1 Visa
3) I-94 Card ( Must print our your card
4) SEVIS DS-2019 5) Verification (Confirmation) of placement letter from APIA. This was sent to you before you left your country.
Check with the SS locator link to find out which location you will need to call to make an appointment. The locations are now designated by your zip code for an in-person appointment due to COVID. https://www.ssa.gov/locator/
- Kennesaw Office: Address: 200 Chastain center Blvd Suite 250 Kennesaw, GA 30144 Phone- 1-866-964-4690
- Marietta office: 1415 Franklin Gtwy SE, Marietta, GA 30067 1-877-803-6320. This office is located near the corner of Franklin Gateway Se And Cobb Parkway, Behind Pep Boys.
- Norcross office 4365 Shackleford Road Norcross, GA 30093. 1-877-803-6320. Office hours are 8:30-3:30 M-F.
- Gainesville Office: 2565 Thompson Bridge Rd, Gainesville, GA 30501 This office is located in the Rubicon office complex suite 210. Office hours are 8:30 am until 3:30pm M-F. (866) 331-2309
It is best to plan on arriving at the Social Security office early before it opens. This will help to avoid a long wait. The office will be closed on any federal holiday. Social Security Office Locator: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/FOLO/fo001.jsp
The Social Security Administration will mail the card. It generally takes 7-10 days. The Au pair will receive a letter stating that an SS# has been requested. This can be helpful in getting a bank account. Save all mailed documentation from the SS office. This will be used to prove residency for the driving license.