Social Security Card Information for Au Pairs
The SS offices are beginning to get back to business!
The SS website states that all visitors should not have been out of the USA within the last 5 days, however, because there are delays in the federal verification, waiting 7 days is recommended. Please wait 7 days and then go in person to the closest office – Norcross or Kennesaw. It is possible to call for an in-person appointment. The Au Pair must be on the phone to answer the COVID assessment questions. Contact info is below.
An Au Pair must wait five days after her entry to the USA before she can request an SS#. You must print out your I-94 card before you can go. Refer to the resource page for “How to Print your I-94 card”.
The Social Security Card Application form can be printed and filled out, or you can wait until you get one at your local social security office. After filling out the form, you must bring it to your local Social Security Office to apply for a Social Security card. It cannot be submitted on-line. Please be sure to bring all of your paperwork with you to the Social Security Office. These procedures are outlined in the Social Security Administration policy manual (POM) section RM 00203.480.C.1. When filling out the application, there will be a section that asked what type of visa you have; Be careful to check that you are here with a J-1 visa. There isn’t a listing for Au pair so that means that you will indicate that you are an “other”. You are not a student.
These documents are needed:
2) I-94 Card ( Must print your document. See instructions at top of page).
3) SEVIS DS-2019 4) Participation letter from APIA. This can be downloaded from your APIA Au Pair portal in order to have the current date on it. The one you have does not have a date on it.
Check with the SS locator link to find out which location you will need to call to make an appointment. The locations are now designated by your zip code for an in-person appointment due to COVID. https://www.ssa.gov/locator/
- Kennesaw Office: Address: 200 Chastain center Blvd Suite 250 Kennesaw, GA 30144 Phone- 1-866-964-4690 office M-F 8:30 to 3:30
- Marietta office: This office is not available for Au Pairs. This office does not accept in-person visits.
- Norcross office 4365 Shackleford Road Norcross, GA 30093. 1-877-803-6320. Office hours are 8:30-3:30 M-F.
- Gainesville Office: 2565 Thompson Bridge Rd, Gainesville, GA 30501 This office is located in the Rubicon office complex suite 210. Office hours are 8:30 am until 3:30pm M-F. (866) 331-2309
It is best to plan on arriving at the Social Security office early before it opens. This will help to avoid a long wait. The office will be closed on any federal holiday. Social Security Office Locator: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/FOLO/fo001.jsp
The Social Security Administration will mail the card. It generally takes 7-10 days. The Au pair will receive a letter stating that an SS# has been requested. This can be helpful in getting a bank account. Save all mailed documentation from the SS office. This will be used to prove residency for the driving license.