Wow, where do I start! Ok, my life in America has seriously been like a yo-yo! Amazing times and rough times but above all a lot of growth! So, I arrived in America in August 2009. Oh, was it a huge change of scenery compared to South Africa.
- The food oooh was/is American food delicious! But oh is it also oh so weighty! So all I wanted to do was test, test, test all foods and I happened to love everything, what I did forget to do was to exercise and limit myself, so that’s how my jeans sadly started saying “no ma’am”.
- Then another thing that absolutely caught me off guard were the prices, man were things cheap in America! I mean a sneaker for $89 that’s nothing right? Umm, Ayanda honey, wake-up call!! Convert that to south African rand and you’ll realize you just spent +-R900.00 oops!! *shrugs* so I started converting prices before I spent just so I wouldn’t be fooled again!
- I knew that Americans drive on the right and that the steering wheel was on the left, total opposite to south Africa! So, I opted to be a passenger for at least a month or two until I got the hang of it! Oh now I’m a pro, I’m nervous for home now haha!
- The most irritating thing was shopping for clothes and shoes.
Me: “excuse me do you know the size conversion of USA and S.A?”
Worker: “no ma’am” *screams*
To this day, I have no idea what my true size is in AMERICA.
- OK and America and its numbered highways. Hmm-ok, I won’t complain because now I know but at first omg I had no clue what you meant by 495 or I-95. I was like “huh, what?” but I’m good now!
- My American life has been flamazing*!! But, I must say I hated being under age. I mean I’m so legal in my country! So, that kept me from clubs and alcohol of course. I am in a way thankful because it sure kept me out of trouble.
- The friends I made were an absolute thumbs up! I met different races and ethnicities and was just able to learn so much!
Living here was like in the movies, everything I watched I saw and sometimes lived the movie life!! So, yes America sure did deliver!
HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR! DISNEY LAND!! Pure bliss, it was surreal! I would re-live that week anytime. I absolutely loved loved loved it!
I don’t think though it would have been so amazing had it not been for the wonderful host family I matched with! A true blessing from God, I’m so thankful for them and my year wouldn’t have been such a success had they not contributed so well to it! Thank you, Hulton family for an amazing year, this ain’t goodbye its see ya later!
Thank you America, its been a pleasure!!
Note from Christine: For anyone (like me) who didn’t recognize the word flamazing. I had to google it and found out that it means fly + amazing. : )