The winter has it’s own kind of beauty, but when the days are short and it’s cold outside, some people feel less energetic or even sad. The cold weather can make you feel like staying indoors. For some au pairs, those conditions can cause homesickness to resurface.
Here are some tips to fight the winter blues (sadness):
- Don’t hibernate. Hibernation is staying inactive or indoors for an extended period of time. Seeing friends and enjoying new activities is a great way to fight homesickness.
- Meet up with friends for coffee or a movie.
- Try new activities and foods.
- Visit places you’ve been wanting to visit like museums and indoor landmarks.
- Stay physically active. Keeping moving helps elevate your mood and boosts your immune system.
- Head to the gym or community center.
- Go walking inside a shopping mall.
- If you are feeling brave, dress warmly and get out there and enjoy the winter beauty!
- Maintain a Healthy Sleep Routine. It’s important to keep your body on a consistent sleep schedule. Too much or too little sleep can impact your mood and health.
Photo: Marwan Youssef