Tag Archives: 1040NR-EZ

Tax Information for Au Pairs


We have been talking about taxes at our Coffee Meetings since January and the deadline for filing is approaching.

Here are some of the basic questions:

Who is supposed to file taxes? – All au pairs who made $3950 or more in the calendar year (Jan 1 – Dec 31.) Au pairs who made less than $3950, are not required to file a tax return for 2014.

Will all au pairs have to pay something? – No, it depends on when you arrived and how much money you earned last year.

When are 2014 taxes due? – April 15, 2015

Where can I get the tax form? –  1040NR-EZ Form

Where can I get the instruction booklet?1040NR-EZ Booklet

Where can I get detailed information and see a sample au pair tax form?APIA Tax Info for Au Pairs *Important note – This tax info document contains a very helpful sample filled out tax form. It will open properly in all browsers except Firefox. I suggest you open this in Chrome, Safari or IE*

Where should I mail my tax return form?
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 1303
Charlotte, NC 28201-1303

How do I write a check or money order? – Check here

How do I address an envelope? – Check here

How to Write a Check or Money Order

This question comes up from time to time and with the tax deadline approaching, I thought I would post a link with a great step by step tutorial.  Click on the image of a check below to go to the tutorial on About.com.


Remember: Use pen and don’t leave extra blank space where someone can make changes.

If you don’t have a checking account and need to make a payment by check, you have two other options: money order or cashier’s check (bank check.) Money orders are available for purchase at your bank, the post office or the customer service desk of some retail stores (CVS, Safeway, WalMart.) You will be charged a small fee, $1.50-$5.  Money orders need to be paid for with cash (not credit cards.) You will fill out the money order similarly to a check and keep your receipt portion for your records.

If you are paying your taxes:

  • Make check or money order payable to “United States Treasury.”
  • Write this info somewhere on the check:
    • Your full name
    • Your address and phone number
    • Your Social Security Number
    • 2015 Form 1040 NR-EZ
  • Mail your tax forms (keep copies for your records) and payment to:

Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 1303
Charlotte, NC 28201–1303