Have you ever been to a drive-in movie? Drive-in movies are outdoor theaters where the movie is projected on a large screen and you watch from your car. There were once over 4,000 drive-in theaters in the U.S., now only a few hundred remain.
One of those still operating is right here in Maryland, in the Baltimore area. Bengies Drive-In has been in business since 1956. It is about an hour drive from most parts of our cluster, but since they are the only one left in the entire state of Maryland, that doesn’t sound so far.
I have been taking my kids to drive-in movies at Bengie’s for the past few years and we love it.
The drive-in is only open Spring-Fall.
Drive-In Movie Tips for First Timers:
- You pay one price whether you stay for 1, 2 or all 3 movies. *Cash only for admission*
- You may stay in your car or bring chairs to sit in in front of your parking space.
- If you go in the summer and plan to sit outside, bring insect repellent spray or bug bracelets.
- If you go in the fall when the weather is cool, bring blankets.
- You cannot bring in outside food or drinks, unless you purchase an outside food permit. I recommend you buy your snacks there. They have some interesting options that you don’t see at a regular movie concession stand and that’s part of the full experience.
- Before you go, read the information on their website about headlights. You need to know how to disable your headlights when you are inside the movie.
- You also need to figure out how to turn your vehicle to the “accessory setting” with your key. This will allow you to listen to the movie without draining your battery. VERY IMPORTANT
- There is a note on their website about how to enter their address with GPS. There address is listed as “Middle River”not Baltimore on GPS.
If you give it a try, let me know how you like it!