Looking for fun activities to do with your host kids? Check out the Au Pair in America Pinterest page. The Winter Holidays pinboard has lots of crafts and games to celebrate Hanukkah, Christmas, New Years and more.
Here are some New Year greetings from around the world. If yours is not listed, please share it with us by posting it in the comments.
- Chinese (Cantonese) – Sun nien fai lok
- Chinese (Mandarin) – Xin nian yu kuai
- Danish – Godt Nytår
- Dutch – Gelukkig nieuwjaar
- Farsi – Aide shoma mobarak
- French – Bonne année
- Gaelic – Aith-bhliain Fe Nhaise Dhuit
- German – Gutes Neues Jahr
- Hawaiian – Hauoli Makahiki Hou
- Hebrew – Shanah tovah
- Hindi (Indian) – Nav Varsh Ki Badhaai/ Naya Saal Mubarak Ho
- Hmong – Nyob zoo xyoo tshiab
- Indonesian – Elamat Tahun Baru
- Italian – Buon Capo d’Anno
- Japanese – Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu
- Norwegian – Godt Nyttår
- Pilipino (Tagalog) – Maligayang Bagong Taon
- Polish – Szczesliwego Nowego roku
- Portuguese – Feliz ano novo
- Romanian – La Multi Ani
- Russian – S Novym Godom
- Spanish – Feliz Año Nuevo
- Sudanese – Wilujeng Tahun Baru
- Swedish – Gott Nytt År
- Turkish – Yeni Yiliniz Kutlu Olsun
- Welsh – Blwyddyn Newydd Dda
Thanks to my fellow community counselor, Lisa Burger for compiling this great list!
I hope you all have a wonderful time celebrating the New Year. I just wanted to remind you to please make good safe decisions.
Don’t drink and drive.
- Take public transportation -metro, bus or a cab. Metro and buses will run until 2 am on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
- One friend can be the designated driver (and not drink alcohol, so she can drive everyone home safely.)
- Sober Ride Home – Take this number with you in case you find yourself without a safe ride home tonight. 800-200-TAXI
That goes for residents in the District of Columbia and the counties of Montgomery, Prince George’s, Arlington, Fairfax, eastern Loudoun and Prince William.
The group, which includes law enforcement and business officials, says the aim is to keep would-be drunken drivers off the roadways.
The offer is good for fares up to $50. The service is available through the SoberRide phone number: 800-200-TAXI.
Don’t Drink Alcohol if You are Under 21 – It is against the law and if you are caught, you will have to purchase your own ticket and return home.
If You are Over 21, Drink Alcohol Wisely – Know your limits and don’t drink to the point of becoming ill.
Keep Your Eyes on Your Drinks – Don’t let someone you don’t know get a drink from the bar for you. When you order a drink take it straight from the bartender and keep it with you. If you leave your glass sitting where you can’t see it, someone can put a drug in your drink. If you
Protecting Your Personal Health & Safety – It is safest to be together with friends. Be careful not to put yourself in dangerous situations with people you don’t know. Consider carefully what information you give to people you have just met.