What should you have in the trunk of your car in case of an emergency? I’ll give you a hint- it’s not a cat. While they are cute, they are not very helpful in a crisis. Below is a list of some more helpful things to keep in the car.
Recommended items to have in the car in case of emergency
- Cell phone car charger
- Jumper Cables (be sure you know how to use them)
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Flares & Reflective triangles
- Bag of sand or kitty litter (to help if stuck in ice, snow)
- Small shovel, snow brush and ice scraper
- Extra windshield solvent
- Blankets and extra clothing
- Nonperishable food items and water (e.g.. snack bars)
- List of emergency telephone numbers on a card in the glove compartment
- Auto club card (AAA or roadside assistance)
Here is another post with a list of what to keep in the car glove box.
It is always a good idea to keep the gas tank at least half full at all times, especially in the winter.
Photo: Bart Everson