It’s difficult when the weather is too snowy, wet or cold for kids to play outside and get all of that great kid energy out.
Here are some indoor physical activity ideas:
- Create an indoor obstacle course in the largest, kid safe room in the house (playroom, basement, family room, etc.) Use large cushions and toys to create places for kids to climb over and under.
- Turn on some music (kid music or other music that is appropriate) and dance.
- Play freeze dance. Tell the kids to dance when you turn the music on and to stop dancing when the music stops. Let the kids take turns being the leader, controlling the music.
- Do the limbo dance. Play music and challenge the kids to go under the limbo pole as it gets lower and lower.
- Make paper airplanes and see how far they can fly. Remind the kids not to throw them at other other people.
- Mark small squares on the floor and challenge the kids to see who can stay on their spot the longest. Make it tougher for older kids by having them stand on one foot.
- Play ball toss games with soft items like rolled up socks. The younger the children the larger the container they are tossing into should be. For very young kids, use a laundry basket. For older kids, use something smaller like a box, basket or large plastic mixing bowl.
- Build a fort using blanket and furniture like chairs and tables. Or if the kids have a small play tent put that up.
- Play sports charades. Charades is a game where you act out something while people try to guess. You can do this with sports actions, using no equipment, just making the actions. For example – hitting a golf ball, pitching a baseball, serving a tennis ball, bowling, etc.)
- Jump rope.
- Play with a hula hoop.
- Try juggling, top spinning, or yo-yo contests.
- Play hide and go seek.
- Play “keep the balloon up”. Use one balloon per child or one balloon per small group. The group may add additional balloons as they gain control and awareness. *
* Safety Note – Balloons are a choking hazard, supervise children when playing with balloons and make sure to find and throw away any pieces of popped balloons.