Mother’s Day is right around the corner! What better way for au pairs to say “thank you” to their host mother than to help her little ones celebrate her big day!
Here are 10 ideas for au pairs to get their Mother’s Day celebrations started with their host children:
- A tasty treat – help your host children choose and prepare mom’s favorite sweet treat. Or prepare a delicious goody from your home country (like this or this).
- Get crafty – ask your host children to draw a picture of mom. Create a frame together using supplies from around your home.
- Interview your host child – ask questions about mom’s favorite foods, her hobbies (asking the kids to guess her age and height are usually good for a giggle), and her other interests. Record the answers on video or on paper and share with your host mom on the big day.
- Create a scavenger hunt – enlist your host children to help you hide secret thank-you notes around the house, with clues leading to the next location.
- Keep it green – help your host children plant seeds or choose flowers to give mom.
- Video – record your host children talking about why they love their mom. Bonus points if they want to add a little song and dance!
- Older host children? Help them put together a slide show of photos with mom. Add captions and set it to music.
- Extra Zzzs – let your host mom sleep in on Mother’s Day. Followed by…
- Breakfast in bed – test those junior chef skills and help your host children prepare a special breakfast for their mom.
- Teach your host children how to say “I love you” in your native language (or in several languages!)
Parents: Click here to learn more about hosting an au pair with Au Pair in America as your intercultural, live-in child care assistance solution.