This week’s Camp Au Pair theme is Bugs & Butterflies.
Crafts, recipes, activities, and games related to all kinds of bugs, insects, butterflies, and spiders can be found here on the Camp Au Pair – Bugs & Butterflies pinboard.
Field Trips can be a great way for kids to learn and have new experiences. Here are a few places to go, that fit this theme:
- Two local attractions offer the opportunity to surround yourself with hundreds of live butterflies from all over the world and learn about their metamorphosis and the part they play in our ecosystem.
- Brookeside Gardens in Wheaton has Wings of Fancy Live Butterfly & Caterpillar Exhibit going on July 1- September 22.
- The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History in DC offers a Live Butterfly Pavilion. Unlike the rest of the museum, this exhibit requires timed entry tickets and there is a fee.
- Also at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History, you can visit the Orkin Insect Zoo. Don’t miss the tarantula feedings daily at 11:30am and 1:30pm.
- Rock Creek Nature Center in DC features an active beehive on display.
Videos – You can find many great videos of butterflies and insects on YouTube. Check out these videos for kids about bees and ants. All about Insects covers lots of tiny creatures who crawl and fly. Here is a video showing a Monarch Butterfly metamorphosis time-lapse.
Movies – A Bugs Life, The Bee Movie, Maya the Bee and The Ant Bully all fit this theme.
Webcams – You can do a Google search for websites with webcams that allow you to observe bugs. Here is one from showing life inside a beehive, to get you started.
Books – Stop by your local library and look for books on bugs and butterflies.