If you have an emergency, notify your community counselor. If it is outside of your community counselor’s office hours, call 1-800-928-7247. If you are calling on an evening, weekend or holiday and the main office is closed, just follow the instructions to be connected to the emergency service. There is someone available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for emergencies.
Procedures You Need to Know
Click the links below to get detailed information about each of these topics.
Au Pair Money Matters
- How to mail a package or letter in the US
- How to use US money and write a check
- H&R Block Tax Services for Au Pairs
Au Pair Travel Inside the US
Travel/Tour Companies & Travel Websites
- AAA Bus Safety Reports
- Bolt Bus– trips between Baltimore, Boston, New York, Newark, Philadelphia, and DC
- Vamoose Bus – trips between NYC and Bethesda, MD, Arlington, VA, or Lorton, VA
- MegaBus – trips between Washington, DC and many destinations up and down the East Coast. New routes from DC to Virginia Beach beginning Summer 2017
- Super Shuttle– transportation to and from airports in DC and all over the US
- Happy-Cars -car rental for 18+
Places to Stay
Au Pair Travel Outside the US
- APIA Information on Traveling Outside of the US
- APIA Travel Validation Request Form (to obtain APIA’s signature on your DS-2019 before travel outside of the U.S)
- Automatic Revalidation Policy (Carry this info with you for travel to Canada, Mexico, & Caribbean travel in Year 2)
- Do I need a Visa to travel?
- Washington DC Embassy Directory
- Visiting Canada
Au Pair Departure Home
- You will be able to request your return flight in your au pair portal.
- You will receive an email with your flight itinerary no later than 4-5 weeks prior to departure.