- Au pairs should complete 6 credits, 7.2 CEUs, or 72 hours to complete their education requirement.
- Classes must be taken through U.S.-based accredited post-secondary schools (normally colleges and universities).
- Au pairs must provide a certificate, letter, or transcript confirming the completion of the class.
- Education should be completed at least 6 weeks prior to the end of your visa in order to be eligible to apply for an extension.
- If you choose a school that is not listed below, check with your counselor to be sure it is accredited and will be accepted BEFORE you register for the class.
Online classes: As of September 1, 2022, all classes must be in-person or hybrid (combination or in-person and online) to count for the education requirement. The APIA Advantage UCLA Course is the only State Department approved class with an online component. No other online classes will be accepted, unless registration took place prior to September 1, 2022.
If you are looking for English classes, these are the best options:
- LADO is a language school for adult learners. They start new classes almost every week. Au Pairs will take a placement exam to find out which class is best for them. The closest LADO location may be in Silver Spring, MD or in Virginia and classes are held weekday mornings, nights and weekends. (Currently the LADO location in DC is closed.) LADO also offers classes in other languages.
- International Language Institute offers English classes for adult learners starting almost every week. Au Pairs take a placement exam before being assigned to a class. Classes are held and weekday mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Georgetown School of Continuing Studies has very challenging English classes that run on a semester-basis. New classes start in September, January and June. Georgetown also offers Business English.
- For Au Pairs who have finished their course requirement, DC offers several free English classes which DO NOT give credit for the Au Pair program. Carlos Rosario, Next Step Public Charter School and Washington English Center all have free or low cost English classes which do NOT give credit.
Au Pairs who do not want English classes often take:
- Women’s Business Leadership classes at George Washington University.
- Au Pair Weekend Classes.
- Borough of Manhattan Community College Weekend Travel Classes.
Other Area Educational Options
- APIA Advantage – UCLA Extension Program
- Columbia College
- Fairfax University of America (Sat Museum Classes)
- Inlingua English Center
- International Center for Language Studies
- Learning Across America (Study & Travel)
- Mentora College Intensive ESL
- Montgomery College (must pay out-of-state tuition)
- Prince George’s Community College (must pay out-of-state tuition)
- University of the District of Columbia (UDC) Workforce Development – These specific classes (Workforce Development) are free for DC residents. Required proof of residency: APIA participation letter, DC driver’s license/non-driver ID card, and residency documents from your host family.
- University of Richmond (Weekend classes in Richmond, VA)
- University of the Virgin Islands (Weekend classes in DC)
- Women’s Business Leadership Courses