Travel Outside the US
APIA Information on Traveling Outside of the US
Travel Validation Required – APIA Travel Validation Request Form (To obtain APIA’s signature on your DS-2019 before traveling outside of the U.S.) Note: The travel validation ensures that you are in good standing with the program, it is not formal permission to travel.
- Mail this form along with your DS-2019 (not a copy) to APIA, at least 3-4 weeks prior to international travel.
- Check out this blog post for step-by-step instructions on how to send this in the mail.
Travel Rules by Program Year
- Year 1 Au Pairs must have a valid visa to travel internationally and plan to return to the U.S. prior to the date their visa says it expires. This can be different from the actual program end date.
- Year 2 Au Pairs may visit Canada, Mexico, and the adjacent islands due to the Automatic Revalidation Policy. (Carry this info with you for travel to Canada, Mexico, & Caribbean travel in Year 2.) No other international travel is allowed in Year 2.
- Year 3 Au Pairs (special extension) are not permitted to travel internationally.
- NIE Au Pairs – Previous travel restrictions no longer apply if you arrived on an NIE visa. Follow travel guidelines based on whether you are in Year 1 or Year 2.
Travel and COVID-19
- Only fully vaccinated travelers will be admitted into the U.S. This means that all foreign visitors must be vaccinated against COVID-19 and must show proof of vaccination before boarding a U.S.-bound airline.
- All Au Pairs will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before they travel by air into the United States. They must show the negative result to the airline before boarding the flight. This test is not for a medical reason, so it will not be covered by insurance and you will need to cover the cost yourself.
Additional International Travel Information
Travel Inside the US
Travel/Tour Companies & Travel Websites
- Atlas Obscura – Unusual places to visit
- Intrepid Travel – Small group tours to popular destinations
- Kayak – Search flights on multiple websites at once
- Roadside America Offbeat tourist attractions
- Roadtrippers – Organize your road trip
- Trip Advisor – Guides for places to visit and things to do in various cities
- AAA Bus Safety Reports
- DC Metro Website – helpful information maps and trip planner for Metrorail and buses
- FlixBus– trips between Baltimore, Boston, New York, Newark, Philadelphia, and DC
- Happy-Cars – car rental for 18+
- MegaBus – trips between Washington, DC and many destinations up and down the East Coast.
- Our Bus – trips to Philadelphia, New Jersey Shore, Richmond, Wilmington & more
- Super Shuttle– transportation to and from airports in DC and all over the US
- Vamoose Bus – trips between NYC and Bethesda, MD, Arlington, VA, or Lorton, VA
Places to Stay
- You will be able to request your return flight in your au pair portal.
- You will receive an email with your flight itinerary no later than 4-5 weeks prior to departure.
Money, Mail & Taxes
- Au Pair in America Tax Information for Au Pairs
- How to Address an Envelope in the U.S.
- How to Fill Out a Money Order
- How to Use U.S. Money and Write Checks
- H&R Block Tax Services for Au Pairs
- Instructional Tax Video – On your au pair portal
- Go to “Resources” tab → “In the US” → click “Instructional Tax Video for Guidance”
- Instructions for Form 1040NR
- Tax Form 1040NR