Does it seem like the days are getting longer, but the hours are getting shorter? Too much to do and never enough time to do it all? You’re not alone- many host parents are struggling with the same challenges as school comes to a close for the year.
The flexible schedule is one of many reasons many families champion the Au Pair program. We all know that our au pairs can work no more than 10 hours per day and 45 hours per week. However, summer can be a real challenge for host parents who are working full-time. Once kids are out of school, an Au Pair’s regulation hours may not be enough time to cover all of your childcare needs.
Day camps are a great way to fill in the gaps, and there are many options in the DC area. Below is a list of camps not too far from our part of town. At posting time, all still had some availability. If you know of others your kids have enjoyed, please share on our private Facebook group page. Let’s work together to find options for our cluster kiddos– and make it a great summer for everyone!
- Amazing Life Games Summer Camp (ages 3-8; 9 am-3 pm, limited aftercare; weekly sessions; application)
- Beauvoir Summer Camp* (rising pre-k-rising 5th grade; half-day, full-day, before and aftercare , and speciality camps; CIT program; weekly sessions, registration)
- BloomBars‘ Fit Kids Hit the State: Summer Adventure
- CCBC Children’s Center’s Summer Camp* (ages two-five; 9 am-1 pm; potty training NOT required; weekly sessions available; brochure and application)
- Headfirst Summer Camps- St. Albans and NCS campuses (age 3-rising 7th grade; half-day, full-day, before and aftercare, and specialty camps; weekly sessions; registration)
- Lowell School’s Summer Camp (age 2.75-rising 9th grade; half-day, full-day, before and aftercare, and specialty camps; CIT programs; weekly sessions; registration
- National Presbyterian School’s Summer Horizon’s Camp* (age 3-rising 4th grade; half-day, full-day, before and aftercare, and speciality camps; CIT program; weekly sessions; registration)
- Sidwell Summer Camp- DC Campus (age 3-rising 10th grade; half-day, full-day, before and aftercare; specialty camps, weekly sessions; registration)
- Silver Stars Gymnastics Camp* (ages 3.5-15; half-day, full-day, before and aftercare; weekly sessions; registration)
*My children have attended these camps. Please reach out to me with any questions about them.