Gingerbread is an important part of many cultures’ holiday celebrations. Gingerbread men, gingerbread houses, and even gingerbread-flavored coffee are just a few of the yummy treats available this time of year. DC-based cookie guru Meaghan Mountford details the history of gingerbread cookies on her fabulous website, The Decorated Cookie.
The story of the Gingerbread Boy has been retold in many versions. Head to your local library and check out a few of these fun books:
- Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett.
- The Cajun Gingerbread Boy illustrated by Berthe Amoss
- The Gingerbread Boy by Richard Egielski
- The Gingerbread Boy by Paul Galdone
- The Gingerbread Man: An Old English Folktale illustrated by John A. Rowe
- The Gingerbread Man illustrated by Karen Schmidt
- The Gingerbread Man illustrated by Pam Adams
- The Gingerbread Man by Eric Kimmel
- The Gingerbread Man retold by Jim Aylesworth
Make Your Own Gingerbread Cookies
Excited to make some of your very own gingerbread? Below is a recipe for gingerbread cookies. (Don’t forget to use American measurements and temperature settings!)
Preheat oven to 350F
In a large bowl, sift together:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
In a smaller bowl beat together:
- ¾ cups brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup of molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Stir the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for one hour. Roll out on a lightly floured surface and cut out cookies. Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes. Place on a rack to cool. Decorate.
Gingerbread Fun Without the Baking
If you aren’t a baker, head to almost any store (Target, 5 & Below, Safeway, Giant, Harris Teeter are just a few) to buy a kit to make a gingerbread house, It will include everything you need ~ just add your imagination!
Even More Gingerbread Ideas
Or if you’re ready to take your gingerbread to the next level, The Decorated Cookie has loads of fun ideas. If you decide to try any of these projects out, be sure to post pictures on our cluster group page on Facebook.
- Gingerbread Man Marshmallows