These tips are not intended to scare you, but to make you aware of some simple things you can do to prevent being the victim of a crime.
- When you get into an Uber or Lyft, make sure the vehicle matches the description and the driver shown on your App.
- Keep your mobile phone charged, so you can use it if you need it.
- When riding on Metro, try to wait in well-lit areas where there are other people and try to get into a train car with other people, rather than being alone.
- Be very careful using outside ATMs at night or in unfamiliar surroundings.
- Tell someone where you’ll be and what time you’re supposed to return, or if you will be with someone you don’t know well.
- If you are meeting someone new for the first time, meet in a public place with lots of other people.
- Never give your home address to someone without your host family’s permission.
- Don’t overload yourself with packages or shopping bags.
- Don’t wear earbuds or headphones while walking or jogging.
- Don’t read or get distracted by your cell phone while walking or standing on the street.
- Pay attention to what is going on around you and be aware of people near you.
Be a good friend! If you think another au pair is not making smart decisions when you are out at night, be sure she gets home safely.