- APs are required earn at least six academic credits during their year by completing classes/courses at accredited US post-secondary colleges and universities. 6 academic credits = approximately 8 CEUs = approximately 80 classroom hours (72 classroom hours is absolute minimum allowed).
- For a summary of State Department education requirements, click on this link.
- If the class is remote (out of town), HFs pay for the class and what is included. APs pay for transportation, food, & lodging.
- Most courses require homework to receive class credit.
Georgetown University Evening and Weekend English
- Details: Conversational English courses (weeknights), ESL Business English courses (weeknights), and Advanced TOEFL Test Prep course (Saturdays)
- Credits: 3.2 CEUs for 8-week summer course; 3.6 CEUs for 9-week fall and spring course
- Cost: $480 for summer course; $540 for fall & spring courses (10% Early Enrollment Discount)
- Placement: Mandatory placement test
- Location: Georgetown, DC (Take shuttle from Dupont Circle Metro)
International Language Institute (ILI) English Programs and other foreign languages
- ESL and TOEFL Prep Au Pair Promotion- $500 Tuition for 72-75 hours
- Day Classes (Monday-Friday 9 am-2:10 pm; earn 75 hours in 3 weeks)
- Evening Classes (Tuesday-Thursday 6:40-8:45 pm; earn 75 hours in 10 weeks)
- Saturday Classes (Saturday 9 am-1:05 pm; earn 72 hours in 16 weeks)
- Other foreign languages (Click here for 10% au pair discount)
- Cost: $75 one-time application fee + tuition (usually offers 10% discount for Au Pairs)
- Schedule: Weekday, evening, and weekend courses offered year-round; foreign language classes begin 4 times per year
- Placement: Testing offered daily
- Location: Dupont Circle (Dupont and Farragut North Metro)
LADO International Institute English courses
- Details: Intensive, Semi-intensive, TOEFL Prep, and TEFL Prep classes
- Credits: 7.6 or 7.2 CEUs for Intensive 4-week program; 7.2 CEUs for Semi-intensive 8-week program, 3.6 CEUs for 8-week Saturday program
- Cost: $85 one-time registration fee + tuition (10% APIA tuition discount usually offered)
- Schedule: Weekday, evening, and weekend courses offered year-round
- Placement: Testing offered daily
- Locations: DC (Archives, Gallery Place, Metro Center), Arlington (Rosslyn Metro), Silver Spring (Silver Spring Metro)
Mentora College Intensive ESL Program
- Details: Intensive 4-week program (ask about a 30% APIA scholarship discount)
- Location: DC (McPherson Square and Metro Center)
Virginia International University (VIU) Non-Intensive ESL Program and Saturday Museum Classes
- Details: Non-Intensive ESL courses (include Business English, Grammar and Conversation, TOEFL Prep, and more), Saturday Museum classes (interactive one-day museum classes and tours taught by an ESL instructor), and Weekend classes (Grammar Tune-Up and others).
- Credits: 0.5 for Museum Class; 1.5 – 3.0 CEUs for other courses
- Cost: $20 one-time application fee + tuition ($40 per museum class; varies for other courses)
- Schedule: Museum classes = Saturdays year-round; schedule varies for other courses
- Placement: No placement test required for museum classes
- Location: DC-area museums and Fairfax, VA campus
GENERAL INTEREST CLASSES
- Details: BMCC offers au pairs two ways to earn educational credits:
- Learning Local: Attend class at Trinity University in DC and then take a study trip to the destination (usually Niagara Falls or Amish Country).
- Learning Express: Study, explore and earn educational credits all in the same long weekend in an amazing destination like Miami, Nashville, New Orleans, New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Philadelphia and Washington, DC.
- Credits: 40 hours/4 CEUs, 36 hours/ 3.6 CEUS, or 32 hours/3.2 CEUs
- Cost: Varies by class (check for additional housing and transportation costs)
- Schedule: Learning Local classes meet on Saturdays and Sundays. Study trip dates vary and may include weekdays. Learning Express classes meet over one long weekend on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Carefully check class descriptions dates and times.
- BMCC continues to add new courses to its Learning Across America program so make sure to check the schedule regularly!
George Washington University School of Business Women’s Business Leadership
- Details: GWU’s School of Business Center for Entrepreneurial Excellence Women’s Leadership Seminar series
- WBL 101: Intro to Women’s Business Leadership (Fall- Nov 2 and 3, 2019)
- WBL 102: Personal Leadership Journey (Spring- March 7 and 8, 2020)
- Credits: 3 credits/ 36 hours
- Cost: $360 early registration; $385 regular registration + $25 for workbook
- Schedule: TBA (also pre and post-class assignments)
- Location: George Washington University (Foggy Bottom Metro)
Stratford University Event Survey Course
- Details: Explore the world of event management including theme development, food, design, tourism, and more.
- Credits: 3 CEUs/ 30 hours
- Cost: $460
- Schedule: 10 am-2 pm on Thursdays Sept 12-Oct 17
- Location: Stratford University’s Alexandria Campus (Eisenhower Ave Metro)
University of DC Community College Au Pair Weekend Class
- Details: Learn important skills for dealing with the cultural and personal challenges that international visitors in the U.S. often face and also learn about Washington, DC.
- Credits: Receive up to 45 hours for a 3-day weekend class
- Cost: Varies by course (housing not provided)
- Location: 801 N Capitol St NE (near Union Station)
University of the Virgin Islands International Program (based in DC and other locations)
- Details: Courses that meet for multiple times for several weeks, weekends, or months (include Accent Reduction, ESL Small Talk, Sign Language, art classes, business classes, and more).
- Credits: Between 20-40 hours (2-4 CEUs) and varies by course
- Cost: Varies by course; create student account to register and pay
- Locations: Throughout DC Metro and other locations
Other Classes located at Universities all over the US, including California, New York, Florida, Virginia, Hawaii and others. Click here for more information.
UCLA Extension American Studies
- Details: Click here for detailed class description and a sample of the required English level
- Credits: 6 credits
- Cost: $500
- Schedule: September 23, 2019 – February 3, 2020. Course #364702. (Use this link to register and pay for the course. Registration can be tricky. Use this guide for tips on how to register.) Registration opens July 29, 2019.
- Location: Online (Note: This is the only online class approved by the State Department and is only available to APIA Au Pairs.)
OTHER DC-AREA OPTIONS
Below is a list of accredited DC-area schools you may wish to research for class options. However, they tend to be more expensive and do not have special programs designed to fit into an au pair’s typical schedule.
American University Nondegree Student (over $1000 per credit)
Corcoran Arts Continuing Education classes (around $1000 per credit)
Georgetown University Visiting Non-Degree Student (over $1500 per credit)
Montgomery College Work Force Development & Continuing Education (must pay non-resident fee)
Prince George’s Community College classes (must pay out-of-state tuition)
This blog post was last updated on 07/13/2019.